Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My Creative Path

I was born and raised in Kimberley, South Africa. In Kimberley - the diamond city - I was exposed to the beauty of diamonds and grew to appreciate beautiful things from an early age.

Since childhood I've always pursued artsy activities and my dream was to study commercial art. However, I got cold feet and, instead, took the safe route and became a teacher. This started me on a path to find the most creative ways of making my math classes more effective. Today I am a math curriculum consultant where I can share my ideas with other teachers and, hopefully, help them in their pursuit of more effective methodology.

My eye has always been drawn to jewelry and, every time we've taken a trip out of the country, my husband and I have looked for unusual pieces until, a few years ago, I realized that I could make some of those same pieces I was drawn to. I decided to make it my retirement hobby.

After living in California for close to 20 years, we relocated to Baltimore, Maryland, three and a half years ago when we retired. I'm now on a path to learning as much as I can about making jewelry. It's an expensive hobby, so I started selling.  I've had such good feedback and this has led to my Etsy shop. Hopefully, it will continue to generate sales and allow me to continue growing in my creativity.

9 comments:

  1. I bet you have some great stories to share! I'm honored to be your first follower.
    Debbi
    -ourhometoyours

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Debbi, I look forward to sharing with others on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Annie

    Thank you for your welcome. It is so good to connect with other team members.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just picked up the fact that you've joined the BESTeam, DeeDee - welcome, because now Patti and I are no longer the newbies! Interested to read about your links with Kimberley - 'cos between 1962 and 1969 I worked in London and Joburg for Diamond Trading Company (London) and Anglo American Corporation of SA (in Joburg). Remember passing through Kimberley on the Blue Train (when I was leaving to go to Kenya in December 1968 - I travelled to Cape Town, then along the Garden Route and back to Joburg before, finally, flying to Nairobi. Remember it as though it were yesterday!

    I'm following you, so hope you'll do the same for me - and when I've got my head round some of the more necessary blogging rules here on the BESTeam, be sure I'll be featuring you (and the rest of the team, too!) Isobel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isobel, thank you so much. I will definitely support and follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aloha DeeDee,

    So glad to have you on board and especially to be in on the "ground floor" of your blog and etsy business! I need to check out your shop, so excited for you! I look forward to getting to know you better. I am the curator of Redemption Art. Again, welcome and congratulations.

    Aloha,

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much. It is so great to have so much support.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to BESTeam! I'm looking forward to reading future post... Following you ;)

    ReplyDelete